Since 1987, Habitat Charlotte has tithed over $4 million to sister affiliates overseas, enabling construction of over 1,000 homes for low-income families in need. El Salvador, one of Central America’s poorest countries, has been the recipient of our tithe and building support since 1993.
On average, a single-family home in El Salvador costs about $7,000. Modest by American standards, the home consists of two to three rooms with simple electrical and plumbing systems. For families earning only $6.25 to $25 a day, it's a home of infinite value and opportunity. Each house allows families to move out of mud, cardboard or tin shanties and into decent, affordable homes that are built to keep them safe during El Salvador’s frequent earthquakes and inclement weather.
A valuable aspect of our relationship with Habitat El Salvador is our mission-trip program. Three trips are scheduled each year. They’re great opportunities for Charlotte residents to participate in 10-day service excursions to build alongside future Salvadoran homeowner families.
For more information about our partnership:
For more information about our trips:
- Information Packet with trip details (PDF)
- Registration Form (PDF)
- March 25 - April 2, 2017: Habitat Young Professionals (Open Trip)
- Trip Leaders: Hannah Rice (Habitat Charlotte staff) & Phil Schneider (HYP)
- May 12-21, 2017: UNCC Study Abroad Group (Closed Trip)
- Trip Leaders: Sarah George (Wells Fargo) and Bert Green (Habitat Charlotte staff)
- October 2017 (exact dates TBD): Build Plus (Open Trip)
- Trip Leader: Bert Green (Habitat Charlotte staff)
- October 2017 (exact dates TBD): Christ Lutheran Group (Open Trip)
- Trip Leaders: Habitat Charlotte staff member and Greg Huether (Christ Lutheran Church)
- January 2018 (exact dates TBD): "The Tribe" (Open Trip, 25 spot max.)
- Trip Leader: Rebecca Oring (Habitat Charlotte Staff)
- Includes trip to Guatemala
- May 2018 (exact dates TBD): UNCC Study Abroad Group (Closed Trip)
- Trip Leaders: TBD