- Potential applicants must request a homeownership application from our office during our open application period. Applications must be returned to us by the deadline printed on the bottom of the packet. Click here to learn how to request an application. If you need additional assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.
- Habitat calculates your income and pulls a credit report.
- If income and credit meet our requirements, the applicant is invited to participate in step 3.
- Applicant will be invited to attend a mandatory 1 hour orientation session and will receive documentation packet in order to move forward in the application process.
- Submit all items requested in the documentation packet by the deadline provided
- Click here for a list of required documents needed during the application process. Please note, this is not the completed packet. Orientation is required to receive all necessary documentation packet items.
- Criminal background, employment history and rental history are verified.
- Homeowner Selection Committee Home Visit:
- Two members of the Homeowner Selection Committee will contact applicant to set up a time to visit and interview at the applicant's current residence.
- Approved applicants start the Habitat Partnership and begin Homeowner-In-Process training, which includes attending mandatory homeownership classes and completing the required number of "sweat equity" hours.
The application process takes roughly 6-8 months. The sweat equity requirement takes 12-18 months. It generally takes about 1 1/2 to 2 years to complete the entire process, from the date of the application to the house closing.
If applicants do not meet Habitat for Humanity of Charlotte's criteria for homeownership, and are not selected into the program, they will receive a letter with a description of the reason and a list of HUD approved Financial Counselors or a referral to another qualified organization.
There is no limit to how many times an individual can apply for a Habitat home, so we encourage those applicants who don't make it the first or second time to reapply!
Information on other home ownership programs can be found at www.socialserve.com
Individuals who are deaf or who have hearing impairments can utilize the free service at http://www.relaync.com/ to communicate with Habitat Charlotte. Our phone number is 704-376-2054.