Building Common Ground for Housing Justice
At Habitat for Humanity Charlotte we are called by our mission not only to build and/or repair affordable housing, but also to unite all Charlotteans around the cause of housing justice for everyone.
In 2017, we are committed to promoting affordable housing for all, and we invite all Charlotteans to come together and raise our voices as well as our hammers to strengthen our great city, state and nation.
2017 Housing Covenant Priorities
- Continue support for Down-Payment Assistance grants through HOME funding for low-income homebuyers.
- Incorporate affordable homeownership development on City and County owned land.
- Support additional housing and neighborhood support bonds.
- Support the creation of permanently affordable homeownership.
- Support Habitat homebuilding efforts state-wide by allocating increased resources for energy efficiency grants, and North Carolina Housing Finance Agency zero-interest Self Help Loan Pool.
- Create dedicated funding source to increase North Carolina Housing Trust Fund to $50M.
- Keep payday lending out of North Carolina.
- Protect federal resources that support the work of Habitat for Humanity nationwide, including AmeriCorps/VISTA funding, HOME and CDBG programs.
- Support Habitat for Humanity International's Solid Ground campaign to change land policy and systems to ensure that more people around the globe can have a decent home.